Keynote in English - US at jsDay 2014
View Slides: http://massimiliano-mantione.github.io/talks/JsDay2014/MetascriptKeynote/GHP
Short URL: https://joind.in/talk/76389
(QR-Code (opens in new window))
Comments are closed.
The talk was interesting, but unfortunately there were a few issues that obscured the message a bit. I'll try to give some feedback:
- Massimiliano is very knowledgeable and obviously knows what he is talking about.
- Meta-programming! Lisp!
- Live code transformation!
- MetaScript, new language to try out!
- Good delivery.
- Live coding didn't work
- Code a bit too small on screen, hard to read
- Pretty heavy stuff for a ~1hr morning keynote :)
- Author assumed audience was familiar with deep PL concepts
- Few actionable stuff after the talk for a developer that wants to start with macro programming, except perhaps go and check out the Github repository.
All in all, an interesting talk with a huge potential. Can't wait to see its next iteration! In the meantime, I'll give MetaScript a try.
Well presented, nice talk and overall i really enjoyed it. Topic is the strongest argument for a high score: Metaprogramming and all the concepts behind it is probably the most innovative idea presented during the whole conference.
What could go better: Mainly Live coding and Small font.
Good topic, font hard to read.
The font size on the slides was quite small but the talk was great!
sparkling mind! i love macros now :)
worst opening keynote ever for an event. keynotes should be about engagement, not advanced technical stuff like this.
In talk arguments where good, they bring a lot of discussion in the arena and that's is more then valuable.
I guess there could have a been a working practical example to really show people what can be achieved with meta programming
The topic was quite interesting, but I think it's difficult to use metascripting in reality, 'cause it's another thing to add in a stack pretty full already (php, js, html, css, etc.)
Anyway Massimiliano was clear I felt it passionate about the topic.
Slides font and color were hard to read (and I was in third row).
I would say that the subject is very interesting, and the speaker is extremely passionate and knowledgeable.
I've given it 3 stars for 3 main reasons:
- this should not be an opening key note talk, it is way too technical and low-level for being this early
- live demo is a huge gain, but if it fails, it's a huge fail so there should always be a fallback plan if it's so inherently important to the talk.
- Aside from the talk of the language, i would have loved to hear a more general talk about metaprogramming, when it's useful, when it's good, bad, etc. again, due to the early time in the morning, i think that a more high level talk would've made much more sense.
Interesting stuff, but not for a keynote talk
Interesting subject, too bad lighttable decided to crapout and make a full demo effect :).
Subject is interesting, speaker had the knowlegde, but it may have been a bit too technical for most people.