Kubernetes is the choice for running autoscaling, resilient applications in containers. Containers divorce applications from servers in the same way that virtual machines divorced servers from hardware a generation ago. We cover lessons learned in bringing our existing PHP stack onto Kubernetes.
This talk covers our experiences moving our PHP-based application stack onto Kubernetes from puppet-based virtual servers and embracing immutable infrastructure.
In the process, we:
* improved scalability over several orders of magnitude
* simplified reuse of infrastructure components for new services
* enhanced our security posture
* reduced system costs through aggressive autoscaling
In this talk, we will cover
* Kubernetes concepts
* Practical considerations when migrating to Kubernetes and Docker
* How to configure and launch a PHP application in Docker and Kubernetes
* How to handle scalability, deployments, cron jobs, and secret management